Women who developed type 2 diabetes after taking Lipitor are filing lawsuit claims based on recent scientific studies of the link between statins and diabetes. One study indicated that post-menopausal women may be at a particularly high risk of developing diabetes as a side effect of the cholesterol medication Lipitor (atorvastatin).
According to the FDA, increased blood sugar has been reported by patients who use statins to lower their cholesterol. Now, some women are claiming that they developed diabetes after taking Lipitor, despite being otherwise healthy.
These women feel they were not warned about the increased risk, and maintain they would not have taken the medication had they known.
There are already numerous lawsuits alleging that Lipitor is linked to diabetes pending in federal court. These lawsuits make various legal arguments, stating that Lipitor’s manufacturer was negligent in several ways. Women filing Lipitor claims state that the drugmaker Pfizer:
- Represented that Lipitor caused minimal side effects while knowing that there was a diabetes link represented in some patients.
- Had actual knowledge or should have known through studies, that using Lipitor for an extended period of time increased the risk of diabetes in some patients.
- Had actual knowledge or should have known that the risk of diabetes in patients who used the drug was greater than the risk disclosed on Lipitor’s packaging warnings.
- Failed to investigate the accuracy of its Lipitor label after becoming aware of signals that indicated a safety issue.
- Failed to monitor all relevant scientific literature related to Lipitor and diabetes.
- Failed to conduct and report post market safety surveillance on Lipitor.
These Lipitor and diabetes lawsuits assert that the medication was not reasonably safe as designed because the foreseeable risks involved in its use outweighed the therapeutic benefits of the drug.
There is currently no nationwide Lipitor class action lawsuit; instead, the claims of individual women are being brought independently.
We represent women who developed diabetes while taking the medication Lipitor. We work on a contingency basis which means that there are never any legal fees unless compensation is awarded in your case.
For a free, no-obligation consultation about filing an atorvastatin or Lipitor lawsuit, please call toll free 1-888-578-4755 or fill out our short online contact form. A Lipitor attorney will contact you to answer any of your questions about the links between this medication and diabetes mellitus.
There is a limited time to file a Lipitor claim, so please contact us at your earliest convenience.